John Jay GOOD
- Born: Jul 12, 1827, Columbus, Monroe County, Mississippi
- Marriage: Susan Anna FLOYD on Jul 27, 1854 in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas 1624
- Died: Sep 17, 1882, El Paso, El Paso County, Texas, USA at age 55
- Buried: Odd Fellows Cemetery in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas
GOOD, JOHN JAY (1827-1882). John Jay Good, judge, soldier, and mayor of Dallas, the son of George Good, was born in Monroe County, Mississippi, on July 12, 1827, and reared in Lowndes County, where his father worked as a shoemaker and farmer. He attended Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee, and read law in Columbus, Mississippi, before his admittance to the bar in 1849. He practiced law in Marion County, Alabama, and worked on his father's farm before 1851, when he headed to Texas with his patrimony of $2,000 and settled in Dallas. In 1852 he was elected to command the Dallas citizens' militia group in the Hedgcoxe War.qv Good married Susan Anna Floyd on July 25, 1854; they had six children. In 1859 he was appointed an official visitor to the United States Military Academy at West Point, but with the outbreak of the Civil Warqv he organized a Confederate artillery battery. He fought as a captain with Benjamin McCulloch'sqv brigade at Elkhorn, was wounded, and was then appointed presiding judge of the Confederate military courts of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, with rank of colonel. Upon his return to Texas after the war, he was elected judge of the Sixteenth Judicial District, Dallas, but was removed by Gen. Philip Sheridanqv as an "impediment to Reconstruction." Good practiced law in Dallas as a member of the firm of Good, Bower, and Coombes. In 1880 he was elected mayor of Dallas. He was a Mason and Odd Fellow. He died on September 17, 1882, and was buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Dallas.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Biographical Encyclopedia of Texas (New York: Southern, 1880). William S. Speer and John H. Brown, eds., Encyclopedia of the New West (Marshall, Texas: United States Biographical Publishing, 1881; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.
CANNON SMOKE: THE LETTERS OF CAPT. JOHN J. GOOD, GOOD-DOUGLAS TEXAS BATTERY, CSA by Fitzhugh, Lester N
Good-Latimer Expressway - Not really an expressway, but it was named after two people : John Jay Good and James W. Latimer. Good was Dallas Mayor in 1880, and Latimer was the co-founder and editor of Dallas' first newspaper which eventually became the Herald. The two streets named for the men were mostly paved over during construction of Central Expressway, so in October 1951 this new road was named for them both.
Jay & Susan Floyd Good
John Jay Good born 12 July 1827 in Marion County, Mississippi, graduated in law from Tennessee Cumberland University and began his practice in Pikesville, Alabama in 1849. By 1850, at age 23, he was a brigadier general of the Alabama State Militia.
General Good came to Dallas in 1851. Shortly after arriving, he became the attorney for approximately 3,000 settlers in Dallas and other north central Texas counties, who had come to Texas under the auspices of the Peters Colony Company. He led their succ-essful fight to get uncontested title to their land from the State of Texas. Due to the extended time of the suit, a special session of the Texas Legislature was required to end it. To show their appreciation, the ladies of the Peters Colony presented him a handsome beaded jacket.
On 25 July 1854, he married Susan Anna Floyd, who had moved to Dallas with her parents in 1853 from Kentucky. The Nathaniel C. Floyd family had come to Texas by excellent carriages. Their move was due to a visit from their daughter, Fanny Floyd Crutchfield and her husband, Jim (son of the proprietor of the Crutchfield House <crutchfield.html> in Dallas), who had already moved to Texas. The deciding factor in the Floyd's move to Texas was a box of soil Jim carried with him on their visit from Dallas. On arriving in Dallas, Mr. Floyd bought 800 acres northeast of the town of Dallas. A large part of the acreage is occupied today by the Lakewood County Club house and golf course.
John and Susan met in December 1853, and on 25 July 1854, they were married. A great hall was made of white canvas stretched about tall poles and decorated with cedar boughs. The bridesmaids, selected deliberately for their beauty, numbered the loveliest girls in young Dallas society. Great tables of rare refreshments served the guests. John called her his "Black-eyed Sue" and she called him "Zen'l Good."
John built a cedar cabin on his homestead, adjoining property given by Mrs. Good's father for the Floyd Street Methodist Church, which later became the old East Dallas Depot. Good Street was cut through the timber, and Elm and Main streets acreage was surveyed for city lots. The general joined Tannehill Masonic Lodge, became the first Noble Grand of the Odd Fellows, and took part in Dallas activities. In 1859, he was appointed by the Secretary of War as visitor to West Point . In 1860, secession feeling was strong and in July, a month after his return, the city of Dallas lay in ashes. He was among the signers of the call for a state conv-ention to ratify the "Declaration of the Causes" which impelled the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union.
Immediately upon the declaration of war, Judge Good turned that part of his homestead between Swiss and Pacific into a drill ground for Good's Battery of Light Artillery. An appeal by J. W. Swindells, editor of the Herald, secured uniforms for the men and Miss Josephine Latimer presented them with a flag on the day of their departure. Joining McCulloch's Brigade, Captain Good became ranking artillery officer, and at Elkhorn Tavern (Battle of Pea Ridge, 1862) Good's Battery alone was credited with saving the entire Confederate artillery. Declared unfit for combat duty because of an injury, he was made Presiding Judge of the Military Courts of Mississippi, Alabama , and Georgia with the rank of colonel. At the close of the war, he became District Judge of the Sixteenth Judicial District, until Texas was made a part of Military District No. 5.
In private practice, Judge Good was associated with E. G. Bower, and later with Z. E. Coombes. He was marshal of the day when the first train arrived, 16 July 1872, on the Texas & Pacific Railroad. The civic leaders wooed the T & P to Dallas by renaming Burle-son Street to Pacific Avenue. He was orator of the day when Jefferson Davis visited Dallas on 18 May 1875. In 1880, he was elected Mayor of Dallas to fill out the term of Mayor Thurmond.
The mayor's office was inadequately heated, and the streets were a sea of mud. Judge Good contracted a cold which resulted in "galloping consumption." He died 17 September 1882 and was buried in the Masonic-Odd Fellows Cemetery, which is located at the side of the current Dallas City Hall. City and county offices closed to honor him. The Grand Commandery of Texas, the Odd Fellows Lodge, the German band, the Schillerbund Lodge, the Lamar Rifles, the Queen City Guards, the Dallas and East Dallas fire departments, the Dallas Bar, city and county officials, and private citizens marched or rode behind the hearse. Even the Dallas Colored Band took part.
Judge Good and his beloved "Black-eyed Sue" had eight children. An infant son, William "Willie", passed away shortly before the Judge's death, his body lies beside his father's. Mrs. Good died 23 January 1912 and was buried at Grove Hill Cemetery, since the Odd Fellows Cemetery was closed for further grave spaces. The other seven children were:
- George, died as a child during the Civil War.
- Frances , married William Southworth.
- Cerelle, married Harry S. Thomas.
- John Jay Jr., became a partner in his father's law firm.
- Bettie, married Andrew Jackson Houston, youngest son of Sam Houston, the hero of San Jacinto .
- Stanley, moved to El Paso .
- Ben McCulloch, married Jennie Aurelia Mansfield, daughter of Robert A. and Aurelia C. (Hallack) Mansfield, who came to Dallas from Princeton , Kentucky , in late 1878 by wagon, barge and rail. Mansfield 's farm was established near the present Old City Park on South Ervay. Ben joined Stanley, his brother, in El Paso and they discovered and operated a gold mine in Mexico . Ben and Jennie had one son, Floyd Mansfield Good (born 31 October 1889, died 23 September 1938). Floyd Mansfield Good married Dollie Kaybell, who was born 11 August 1897 in Laurence County, Missouri . The children of Floyd and Dollie were: Floyd McCulloch Good, born 3 January 1915 and Dorothy Aurelia Good, born 11 December 1916. Dorothy married George R. Berger, 10 October 1937.
Content drawn from Proud Heritage
County has been served by a total of atleast six courthouses in its history. John Neely Bryan donated a block of land for the courthouse square when Dallas became the County Seat in April 1846 on which a 10' x 10' foot log courthouse was erected. In 1855, James Martin Patterson, John J. Good & William Wallace Peak designed the county's first real courthouse, which was in use until 1871. It and the succeeding courthouse were both destroyed by fires. After the 1890 fire destroyed the Dallas county courthouse in use at that time, construction began on a new one which has survived to the present day. When it opened in 1892, what would become Dallas County's sixth (the fifth building to occupy the courthouse site) and most beloved courthouse was adorned with a tower containing a clock and a three-ton bell. The tower was dismantled after World War I because of fears of structural damage from the vibrations of the bell. The courthouse has been undergoing a massive restoration & renovation project for several years. Restoration of the original tower design with a re-engineering of the tower base to support the massive 90 foot clock tower has recently gotten underway. The clockwork of the tower rivaled that of England's Big Ben in quality, but was removed in 1919 when prevailing high winds threatened its stability.
Voters defeated an initiative to demolish Old Red and replace it with a modern building in 1938. Through the next fifty years, Old Red served a variety of public functions, but the demands of efficiency caused countless remodelings and adaptations of space use. Old Red is now a tourist attraction. The remodeling effort that is currently underway restores Old Red to its previous glory of years past. Other courthouse buildings located in the downtown area now serve Dallas County's judicial system.
Ordinance on Cemetery and City Sexton. Be it ordained by the city council of the city of Dallas:
Section 1. The place beyond the corporate limits given to the city of Dallas as a site for the cemetery, or such other places as the city council may select, shall be the place of burial for the city of Dallas, and shall be designated as the "city cemetery."
Sec. 2. The said cemetery or cemeteries, shall be suitably laid off into streets, paths and lots, the corners of lots to be indicated by stakes of durable wood. The size of a full lot shall be eighteen by twenty feet.
Sec. 3. The city engineer shall survey said grounds and shall make a map thereof of a size not exceeding twenty feet to the inch on durable paper, and neatly and artistically drawn, designating in some appropriate part, some portion as burying ground for paupers, buried by the city or county, and another for strangers, and numbering the lots from the northwest corner, in consecutive order; and the half lots shall be designated east and west half, which, when completed, shall be framed and suspended in the office of the city secretary, and a copy thereof filed in the office of the city sexton.
Sec. 4. It shall not be lawful for any person to disinter or remove any dead body deposited therein, from any grave or vault, except it be upon the application or with the consent of the friends or family of the deceased, and then only under the written permission and superintendance of the city sexton; and if any person shall offend against the provisions of this section, or shall receive any body, knowing it to have been disinterred and removed in violation of the provisions of this section, he shall be fined in any sum not exceeding one hundred dollars, and if the fine be not paid, shall be imprisoned not exceeding fifteen days.
Sec. 5. If any person shall cut, break, or otherwise injure, mutilate or deface any tombstone, fence, head of foot-board, vault, monument or inclosure, tree, shrub, or ornament, or shall remove or disturb any stake indicating the boundary of any lot, half-lot, street or path, of said cemetery, or of any graveyard of the city, he shall be fined in any sum not less than five or more than one hundred dollars.
Sec. 6. It shall be unlawful for any one to bury or be concerned in burying any dead person within the limits of the city of Dallas, and upon conviction any one so offending shall be fined any sum not less than ten or more than one hundred dollars, and each day the body so remains shall constitute a separate offense; provided that those associations and individuals having cemeteries in the city shall not be effected by this provision before April 1, 1880.
Sec. 7. The removal of all dead is forbidden except between the 1st of November and the 1st of April, provided that where the bodies have been interred for two years or more they may be removed at other times. Any one violating this section shall be fined not exceeding fifty dollars.
Sec. 8. That this ordinance take effect from passage of publication.
Approved December 22, 1880.
J. B. HEREFORD, City Secretary
John J. GOOD, Mayor
- January 1, 1881, Dallas Daily Herald, p. 3, col. 5.
COUNTY HISTORICAL MARKERS
The Texas Historical Commission
HEDGCOXE WAR Marker # 5351 Location: At the southeast corner of the intersection of Blair Oaks and South Colony Drive City: The Colony Marker Erected: 1975 Marker Text: Distribution of land in the Peters Colony of North Texas triggered a dispute known as the Hedgcoxe War. The Texas Emigration and Land Co. organized the colony under an 1841 Republic of Texas law which allowed it to keep one-half of a settler's grant. After protests, this right was repealed, but in Feb. 1852 the company was compensated with 1,088,000 acres of vacant land within the colony. This action angered settlers and speculators with land certificates, who feared that the large grant would lower land values. At that time, the company's unpopular agent, English-born Henry O. Hedgcoxe, operated a land office on nearby Office Creek. On July 12 and 13, 1852, a group of Dallas men broke in and examined the land records. They reported to a meeting in Dallas on July 15 that the company was defrauding the colonists. John J. Good (1827-82), later mayor of Dallas, then led a band of armed men to Hedgcoxe's office. Hedgcoxe escaped, but most of his files were seized and the office burned. After the raid, tensions quickly cooled. The law was amended so that settlers obtained their grants from the state rather than from the company agent. The company kept its land grant, however, and Hedgcoxe returned to help survey the tract. (1975)
Odd Fellows Cemetery
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence: Precinct 1, 1870, Dallas, Dallas County, Texas. Census
• Occupation: Mayor of Dallas, Texas, 1880-1881, Dallas, Dallas County, Texas.
• Residence: Dallas, 1880, Dallas, Dallas County, Texas. census
John married Susan Anna FLOYD, daughter of Nathaniel Crosby FLOYD and Susannah "Susan" Umpsted HART, on Jul 27, 1854 in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas.1624 (Susan Anna FLOYD was born on Apr 17, 1837 in Morgantown, Union County, Kentucky, died on Jan 23, 1912 in Naples, Morris County, Texas and was buried in Odd Fellows Cemetery in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas.)